Friday, June 6, 2014

Practice, tournaments and golf school plans - more focus on golf

It has been a while yet again since I voiced what is going on in my golf life. Fact is, that when in focus on working on my game and my tournament plan, I am just that. In focus. Combined with the fact that I still have to work beside my golf mission it becomes a little harder to sit down, collect my thoughts and get going.

I will work on doing it better and am convinced , that I can organize play, practice and writing in a matter it makes sense.

My first month of practice at Sarabay Country Club was a great success. Working on my game at Sarabay is of great benefit. The short game practice area is a wonderful place to spend time and work on all kinds of shots I am facing on the course constantly. I would say , that the majority of the time I spend right there.

Playing the course is a pleasure. It is in exceptional condition and one of the toughest tests in the area. Famous for the Donald Ross designed camel greens with a speed of 11 and up. I am alternating the tee boxes I am playing in all kinds of ways. Some times I play white, then blue, then white/blue and so on. By doing so , I give myself different tee shots often. It is important to do so. When playing the same course often, a not wanted routine can set in. I try to avoid that.

For the most part I am walking. That is good for my over all fitness and it helps me to feel the course better. See shots better and the shape of the green when approaching it to get ready for my putts.

Playing from the blue tees is a challenge. The course offers 7023 yards from those boxes. Considering the greens, that is a tough challenge. My drives are still not long enough. That forces me to hit hybrids and at times even a 5 wood or 3 wood when approaching the green. Depending on wind conditions ( playing into the wind is not a rare occurrence on this course).

In regards to my overall distance I decided to finally seek some professional help. After going back and forth for months now I made up my mind and will get a swing analysis from GolfTec.

What I like about this company is that they use technology which is used by many professionals. With the equipment they have in there facilities, I can get a very detailed overview of my entire swing and body movements.

This is exactly what I need. I am a strong player and have plenty of power and I need to find this little thing which keeps me from reaching the distance I need to be able to easily master longer tracks. We will see what will happen.

I played 5 competitive rounds of golf since I started working at Sarabay Country Club. 4 rounds were very good. As a matter of fact, for long periods of those rounds I was at par or better ( 2 under at the front 9 of Tatum Ridge). The failure to finish the rounds as I would like was a result of not being mentally and physically fit enough to stay in the zone. Simple mistakes were made.

Overall it shoes me that I can easily can shot under par, if I am able to keep my mind where it belongs. Focus and concentration were the main reason of not finishing the rounds as I would have liked.

But I am happy with the results. I played longer and more accurate and my short game has dramatically improved over the past 4 weeks.

Today starts my tournament season for the summer and I have a wonderful line up over the next weeks.

Bobby Jones Golf Complex being the first test for this weekend. Hoping the course will be in good shape. Saturday I am excited too play in a Celebrity Charity event at Bardmoor Golf and Tennis Club in Largo, FL.

This will be a nice round of golf. Although this will not be stroke play, there is plenty of opportunity to show quality shots. The most exciting one being the 10000 hole in one par 3 ! . Most important to me on that day is the fact that I will meet people from the sports world. Players of the Buccaneers, Rays and Lightning as well as many others who are connected with the Sports World.

It will be interesting to meet some of those guys and girls and to hear their story. Surely I will be able to learn something and make some new friends. Not to forget that it is also an event which will raise funds for a good cause for the area.

Sunday I follow up with the Tatum Ridge Game. Not the best course in the area, but a game with a ton of player and $ to be won. My mission is not only work intensive but also costs plenty of money. So although playing skins games are not my favorite at this point, they give me the opportunity to play well and earn extra $ for the cause.

Upcoming events next week are the City Championship of Bradenton ( 2 men), FSGA at The Oaks Club in Osprey and later this month the WGAT event at Quail West in Naples. The WFAT is a new tour I added into my schedule. This tour has great events to offer and certainly one of the most exciting incentives of all tours.

A paid trip to South Africa to represent the USA in a big tournament. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

So things are going well and my life is more and more in focus with golf. Practice, play , rest. Practice , play , rest. This is the way it should be and this is the only way to actually make it happen.

Which does not mean, that I am not doing anything other than that. There is still work to be done and challenges to overcome. But nothing which is so significant that it can not be done. I am excited and confident. Just stay with the mission and success will come as a result.

Last I would like to mention, that I will work harder on keeping up with my writings. Both , for my blogs and for articles. I am thankful for all of the readers who keep visiting my blogs :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

No comments which are advertising, spam or negative. Productive comments are welcome.