Sunday, May 18, 2014

Status on practice and play

It has been a while since I sat down and wrote any article and I have to improve that. As things go back to normal after a few months of celebration and entertaining, I am getting back on my regular writing schedule to share my golfing life.
 exp
2 weeks ago I became a summer member at Sara Bay Golf Club in Bradenton , FL. A great opportunity to practice and play on one of the premier golf courses in the area. An old fashioned track from the 20s, this course offers the toughest greens around, long holes, a wonderful short game practice area, driving range, a 1o 1 putting green and a nice club house area.

All this is ideal for me to work my way further towards the ultimate goal. There is no doubt in my mind, that working on a course like that will help me to get better overall. I remember being a member at Pula Golf, Mallorca - Spain. One of the toughest courses in Europe they say. Playing and practicing there every day helped me to play the best golf I have played in years.

The same effect I know will kick in when I will spend the summer working hard and daily at Sara Bay. Combined with tournaments ( which I did not pick and enter yet) , skins games ( which I think I will do Fridays and some Sundays) and some lessons with a coach, I have no doubt that the goal can be reached by the end of this year or early next year.

Our plan was to start travelling the US next year. Play tournaments and experience life on the road. I will do my best to make sure we will stay on schedule.

So far I worked 3 days on the range there and it looks promising. It is nice to have a short game area where the green is identical with the greens on the course in terms of speed and condition. I played 2 times. One time the white tees and one time the blue tees. I need to change it around. Playing all kinds of tees will help me to have a new course almost every day or so.

Both rounds where good. I worked primarily on my tee shot. My biggest thing I need to get done. I am still to short and have not enough options of the tee. My shot to go is a slightly left to right fade and I will keep it like that. However, it would be good to have the options to hit a little draw and most important to get another 30 to 50 yards if needed.

I feel great at Sara Bay Golf Club and I think we will see some good progress.

Last Friday I played Bobby Jones Golf Club for the first time in several months. It is my men's group and it was for a special occasion. Although planning to play there more often again, I was not planning to play last Friday.

It was great to see my friends and exchange news. Both , putting and chipping green were closed, which did not help to get my warm up program done. But I did use the range for a few.

The British side of the complex was closed. I did not mind at all. The American side is very tight and in many aspects more demanding. So I liked the idea. I was the only one in  my group playing the blue tees. Although I do not mind, it is always more fun if you have at least one partner from your box. The difference is up to 60 yards on some tee shots and so you are pretty much always by yourself.

I had troubles of the tee in the beginning, but was able to use my good short game for an OK front 9. I left 5 putts short by a few inches. The greens were like carpet. I would say they ran about 5 or 6 on the Stimp. I adjusted on the back 9. Still my drive was not the best, but I hit more fairways and more GRs. Together with my short game I got a good second 9 done.

The score was not the best, but 70s is always a plus. I was satisfied with my work on that day and won a few $ with a good tee shot on a par 3. Considering the long period of not practicing and playing enough I think I did a good job to play the game of golf.

One thing I have to keep in mind. Practice is good and working on your swing is good. But when game day is here, the only thing what counts is playing the game. And the game is simple. Get the ball in the cup ASAP, no matter how.

Yesterday I worked for a little while at Terra Ceia Bay Golf Club. We go swimming there. I found that swimming helps my joints to feel better. I gained some weight again and I feel it. So although I wanted to take a brake from a full practice because my leg and right upper side where hurting a little as well as some muscle ache from 2 rounds of walking, I decided to at least work around the green for a while.

A smart choice. It keeps my touch fresh and my timing in line. Today is Sunday. No doubt. It is our goal to play a family round today and I will do a good warm up before that. A relaxed round of golf is on the agenda.

Rest of the day I start catching up with my blogs and work on planning our USA travel. This is a huge project. Let us see with what I come up with for a general idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No comments which are advertising, spam or negative. Productive comments are welcome.