Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Got fitted for golf clubs at Bob Van Swedens and had a good pracitce at Terra Ceia

Getting new clubs and get fitted for them is the next big step forward to a better game. The approach is clear. First, get some good irons and do a distance chart. Based on that, pick hybrids and woods as well as wedges. So yesterday I went over to Bob Van Swedens Golfrepair center for a fitting. I picked him, because he seems to have good references from all over. Although I went there with Mizuno JPX 825 Pros in mind, I was open to try whatever he had to over. The process was interesting. First we used the shaft optimizer from Mizuno to determine the correct shaft for my swing. It turned out to be the KBS Tour in regular. That did not come as a surprise. I am playing the KBS Tour stiff right now and I felt, that I should play regular shaft. My swing speed is a little slower and I can use a little extra zip. Next we tried all kinds of club heads from Taylormade, Callaway, Mizuno and Cobra. In the end , it was clear that I had the right feeling. The Mizuno JPX 825 was superior. However, it was not the pro version, but the regular version which I hit the best in terms of distance and accuracy. A game improvement club , which as of Mizuno is for players between 6 and 18 Handicap. I that there lays the problem. I am a 6 Handicap, but going low fast. So the question occurs, are those clubs good for me when I am a 0? I think they are. We worked length, grip size and lie as well. I am pretty much a regular standard. My grips need a couple layers of tape and the lie is 2 up. All not much new to me, but I needed to have the numbers from a computer to be sure. So in the end , we came up with Mizuno JPX 825, with a regular KBS Tour steel shaft, grips with 2 layers and lie angle of 2 degree up. I feel great about that. I got an estimate for the clubs including a sand wedge. But I am not 100 % sure if I want this club. As of now I am thinking GW through 5 iron. 3 and 4 hybrid, 3 W and driver. I like the 5 wood. But I am not sure if I want to leave my LW out of the bag. I can always alternate. The fitting was not 100 % as I expected, but it was good and give me a good insight. Next, I will double check my swing at another location for speed and so on. I think I make my decision this weekend. Also I want to try some of the new grips. I play tour velvet, but would like something softer to take protect my hands a little more . That will cost extra and so I might upgrade later on that one. I woke up with my right foot hurting again. When fitting for the clubs I wore regular shoes and again it did damage to the nerve on my foot. Not bad enough to stop me from playing 18 holes in Terra Ceia ( had to use a cart though) and practice for about 1 hour with my woods. As a matter of fact. I think it helped my hand motion. Played a good round. Actually managed to play many good shots. The rest of the day I will not put much stress on my foot. I am in good shape for Friday and think I will paly it by ear how things work out tomorrow. There is plenty to do in terms of finding more opportunities to play tournaments, allocating funds for sponsorship and equipment. That all is part of creating a professional situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No comments which are advertising, spam or negative. Productive comments are welcome.